Why are Carrington’s sauces in square bottles?

One of the earliest sauce producers was the Hayward Brothers who used a square(ish) bottle for their Military Sauce from 1898. They were followed very quickly by George Mason & Company who were the original manufacturer of OK Sauce.

Daddies Sauce was also square bottled from 1904 but in addition the glass top was sealed so that the top had to be broken off to be able to pour the sauce. These bottles are called shear top and children had to be warned to take care not to cut themselves on the sharp edge!

In undertaking this research, Carringtons have acquired examples of all of the above bottles. However, one bottle was purchased direct from the farm worker who found it in the Ypres area and this location must indicate that the sauce it contained was eaten by the troops fighting in the area during World War 1. The bottle is for HP Sauce which was made by F. G. Garton, who used square bottles from 1903. It is interesting to note that Gartons had purchased the recipe for the sauce from the originator, Harry Palmer (HP) when he lost a considerable sum betting on horse racing. The bottle is in remarkably good condition and even has the original glass stopper.

Carringtons are delighted to continue the century old tradition of using square bottles for high quality sauces.